Sunday, January 31, 2010

Butternut Squash Casserole

A friend of mine at work mentioned that she found this recipe for Butternut Squash Macaroni Casserole and that it was AMAZING, and since I am trying to stay on the "no meat" part of the Vegan diet and someday hope to move onto full blown Vegan, I thought what the heck. 

The recipe for Butternut Squash Casserole is as follows:

1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (2 cups)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. whole-wheat elbows
2 tbs. butter
2 tbs. flour
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
1 3/4 cups low-fat white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided

I decided to substitute the white cheddar with mozzarella, since it is easier to get and the cost is less, but I am pretty sure that I would use the white cheddar next time to add a little more depth of flavor... But either way, really good.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Toss with oil and salt on a foil-lined tray.  Bake for 20 minutes or until tender, set aside.

2. Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than package directions call for; drain and place in a bowl with squash.  Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat.  Whisk in flour; cook for 2 minutes.

3. Slowly whisk in milk.  Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer.  Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir till melted.  Stir cheese sauce into pasta and squash.

4. Spoon into 6 greased (or in my case 4), individual ramekins.  Sprinkle on remaining cheese.  Bake 10 minutes.



It turned out great.  I do have to say that peeling the butternut squash was awful and my arm is still sore, but all in all a great meal!  (Oh and I am not sure what happened but when I uploaded some of the pics they turned to the side, so that is why they look funny... Not on purpose I promise)

2 comments:

Pam said...

Boy does that look good. I am definitely going to try it, but think I will buy the pre-peeled and cubed squash.

vickie said...

Definitely... I still cannot believe how hard it was to peel it and chop it. My arm still hurts!