Friday, February 5, 2010

Being Vegetarian

Vegetarian - a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

I would say that at this point I am a vegetarian and I am flirting with the idea of becoming a Vegan.  But in this pursuit of cleansing my body and my soul, I have found that people have some REALLY strong opinions on not eating meat.  I find it strange, much like my opinion of religion, that people even feel the need to comment.  I rarely care what people do or think for that matter, but lately I find myself being confronted on all sides by people and their opinions...

" How are you going to get all your protein?  You know meat is really the only way to get the proper amount." - Loser from work.

" How can you not have meat, what will you eat? "

And my personal favorite... " But why?"

I have thought long and hard about all of this and to be honest, I cannot justify eating meat anymore and I cannot figure out why I should.  There are just as many vegetables and grains in the world that provide many more nutrients than meat and since we live in a country that mass produces meat using hormones and a ridiculous amount of energy, I am not feeling so bad about my decision.

Today I want to say that I am a Vegetarian and I am okay with it, so you can be too!

4 comments:

Beth said...

seconded!

Katie said...

Rodger and I have laughed all day after reading your quote by "some loser at work".

Katie said...

Just to clarify it wasn't the quote that made us laugh. It was the "some loser at work".

vickie said...

Oh I know and so you know who that loser was, it was Judy, otherwise known as Chair Girl.

And the comment on the frist day was followed a few days later by her exclaiming that she was so glad to have gotten some taquitos for lunch, cause she was worried that she was not going to get any protein that day!!!! WTF? So random and of course it fueled me even more to never eat meat again.