Thursday, July 19, 2012

Breastfeeding 101

If anyone tells me that breastfeeding is natural, I might die.  I get that it is the natural and right thing to do for my baby, but the idea that it comes naturally is dead wrong.  It is the hardest thing that I have ever done.  I had no idea how dificult this would be.  My entire day can be made or destroyed by the very fact that she may or may not get a good latch.  And here we are two weeks in and I am still having issues, and I just do not understand.  I respond to her hunger cues, let her eat as long as she wants, but something is not connecting.  She takes forever to get a good latch, like 8 minutes sometimes and when she does it hurts.  She is on the tip of the nipple and sucks so hard, I feel like they are going to fall off.  I am at a point where I honestly feel like giving up, but I know that this is the one thing that I am supposed to be able to provide for her that no one else can.  I would hate to have to do formula but I am not sure what other options we have if this does not get better.  Plus I am super emotional and cry whenever she does not get on or cries because she is hungry or frustrated. 

I made an appointment with a lactation consultant, to see if they can help out a bit... But if that does not help, I really do not know what options we have.  I want to be able to breastfeed my daughter for as long as possible, but since we are only two weeks in and I am already contemplating other options, I just don't know how that will be possible.

3 comments:

Katie said...

What about if you pump and give her a bottle?

Katie said...

And no matter what the choice you make will be whats best for you and your daughter. There is no one size fits all answer.

Pam said...

I was telling Chris you were having a hard time with it. She had issues with one of her kids also. She said that someone told her to unwrap her so she was not so comfortable. That helped with her not falling asleep. You have to do what is best for you and Olivia. No one but you knows what is best, so follow your gut and your heart. She will be fine whatever you decide.