Monday, September 1, 2008

Indecision 2008

In recent months I have been back and forth on whom I would be voting for in the 2008Election... And when I say back and forth I mean whether or not I would be voting for Barack Obama or a yet to be named Independent. I admit that I was one of the early ones to jump on the Barack train but when he came to Orange County and visited one of the churches and spoke about marriage being between a man and a woman, I was put in a position to be tested on just how far I was willing to go to see change made in America. I have and always will be in support of an individuals rights to choose just how they want to live their life, that is what has and always will make America great. But when I heard a black man, whom I would have thought would understand the ramifications of not having certain rights, speak about the right to be married being that of a man and a woman, I was heart broken. Here was this man screaming about change and bringing back respect to being an American, telling religous people that they could rest assured he was in support of maintaining the sanctity of marriage.

As I am approaching my wedding day I am becoming ever more appreciative of the right that I was born with, simply because I was born heterosexual. I have and always will be in support of gay rights, not because it is something that I as a heterosexual will ever understand first hand but rather because I as a heterosexual would never want to be told what I could or could not do.

That being said I also understand the ramifications of the decision that lay before us as Americans and the responsibility that we have to make sure that change is made in any way, shape or form. I feel now as many Republicans felt after eigth years of Clintons, that if we do not stop the route that we are on now... How will we ever be able to recognize that the path that we are on is a dangerous one, where the citizens voices are not heard and the government continues to be blind to all that is going on around them. This is that defining moment and we have to be the ones that take charge. So I as someone that needs to be responsible for the path that I am on and the one that this nation is on, have decided to give my vote to Barack Obama.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Well said, I too did not like what he said about gay marriage. But I can handle disagreeing with him on that. And who knows maybe he means thats his personal belief and not what he expects the country to believe. Although it does pretty much jive with what he said at the convention.

Oh well, I will still take that over McCain any day.