Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Baked Artichokes with Gorgonzola and Herbs

I figured that it was time to try something new and ran across this recipe in my Giada De Laurentiis " Giada's Kitchen " cookbook.  I have often wanted to make artichokes, and though I am not certain I think that I made them at some point but nothing that I would serve again.  This time I was determined to make something that was edible and fun.  So here is the recipe for yummy, baked artichokes.

Makes 4 Servings (though I made only one)

4 artichokes
3 lemons
10 ounces of gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons of heavy cream
2 teaspoons of chopped thyme leaves
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 garlic glove, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add salt when water starts to boil.  While water is coming to a boil, trim the artichoke.  Cut the stem at the bottom close to the base of the artichoke and so that it can stand up.  Then cut about an inch from the top and trim all the spikes off of the leaves.  Drop the artichokes into the boiling water.  Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into the water, and toss in the lemons.  Cook artichokes until tender, or about 30 minutes.  Drain the artichokes upside down on a clean kitchen towel.


Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the gorgonzola cheese, cream, thyme, 2 teaspoons of the parsley, the garlic, salt, and pepper.  In another small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and the remaining tablespoon of parsley.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Spread the artichokes open with your fingers and use a small spoon to scrape out the center choke.  Stuff the cheese mixture into the artichokes and arrange them in a baking dish.  Sprinkle the artichokes with the bread crumb mixture and drizzle them with olive oil.


Bake until the artichokes are heated through, the cheese is melted, and the bread crumbs are crisp and golden, about 25 minutes.  Move the artichokes to a serving dish and serve.


It was so good and now that I know how to make it, I will be doing it again and again!

** As a side note, I realized half way through that I was missing like 3 ingrediants, so my loving husband ran to the store and got them for me.  Sometimes in the most unexpected ways, I am reminded that I am a really lucky person to have such a wonderful person in my life. **

1 comment:

Katie said...

This sounds great. I will have to make it. I have never cooked artichoke but have wanted to try. And I love gorganzola.